The kits and experiments proposed in this catalogue cover all main topics dealt with in high school courses (botany, zoology, cellular biology, anatomy, vegetable and human physiology, hygiene) and also in the first years of university studies in faculties of science.
The experiments concern not only the classical sectors of biology dealt with in all educational courses, but also the most innovative topics of current interest, such as biotechnologies and “on-line systems” which include an interface for data acquisition via the sensors used during tests.
The topics are detailed as follows:
- General biology: general techniques of biological analysis and basic concepts of biology, applied also to the animal world;
Human biology and physiology: study of several pathologies, which are widely spread in western countries and particularly interesting for young people, their relevant analysis methods, basic processes of human and animal physiology;
- Ecology: pollution and quality control in different environments, study of ecosystems and primary
- Botany and vegetable physiology: growth and germination processes of plants, concepts of vegetable biochemistry and genetics;
- Molecular biology: techniques of DNA genetic analysis, such as DNA extraction, electrophoresis, PCR and restriction enzyme analysis, protein analysis, practical application of biotechnologies to industrial and clinical level;
- Microbiology: identification of microorganisms and study of microbiological diversity, fermenting processes of industrial interest;
- Biotechnologies: study of biotechnological processes of industrial significance, with particular attention to the function of microorganisms.
The catalogue consists of four sections: the first two parts describe educational kits and apparatuses for experiments in biology laboratory; each part deals with the topics mentioned above.
Educational kits aim at ensuring an introduction to topics with simple experiments, and they include all the necessary material enabling a class of students (divided into work teams) to develop the experiments.
The section “Laboratory Experiments” proposes actual apparatuses for performing scientific tests, thus enabling a quantitative approach via the connection with the interface for the acquisition and processing of experimental data. This equipment can be repeatedly used to perform various tests.
Particular care has been reserved to the educational content of all proposed kits and apparatuses: as a matter of fact, they are supplied with a detailed handbook, containing not only the directions of use, but also examples of experiments and theoretical hints to the basic concepts of each topic. Therefore
teachers are supplied with useful guides to prepare their lessons and to perform the experiments. On the other hand, students can also find useful educational specifications for checking the concepts learned and for exercises, besides clear protocols for performing the experiments.
The other two sections concern essential equipment for completing the biology laboratory. The section “Equipment for electrophoresis” describes the equipment for the electrophoresis of DNA and of proteins, being essential for the experiments proposed in the section of educational kits for human and molecular biology.
Finally, the section of “Microscopy” proposes biological and stereo microscopes, and the necessary accessories for the preparation of microscope compounds.
The last part of the catalogue describes the instruments and accessories needed to perform the experiments, and important for completing the biology laboratory. These instruments are not included in the kits and they can be purchased separately.
- Students of high schools and vocational schools
- Students of scientific colleges such as the faculties of Agriculture, Biology, Natural Sciences, Medicine…, in the basic courses of the first years.